Tuesday, November 17, 2009

HOW TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL YOUTUBE CHANNEL

When I was a child, someone told me that I would grow up to be a historian. Well, I guess that I am a Youtube historian documenting old Hollywood. One of my new Youtube friends recently wrote to me and asked for suggestions about how to get more viewers for his new Youtube channel. I ended up writing such a long email, I decided to turn this into a blog. I know that a couple of my Blogspot friends already know how to have a successful Youtube channel, but someone else might like to start a Youtube channel later. These suggestions plus his own ideas can help him started. My Youtube address http://www.youtube.com/user/Shabannie

I just started making videos this summer. Even if you are not interested in making videos, I would suggest that you set up a Youtube account anyway. Then you can save your favorites, make comments, send messages, and share videos with other Youtubers. I use Onetruemedia.com to make my videos right now. It took a few months to get a significant amount of views. Some of my older videos do not have that many views, because I did not get as many viewers when these videos were submitted. So I share the older videos sometimes.

My views increased significantly when I added that West Side Story video. I started to get all these friend invitations from Spain, Mexico, and South America. I look at other channels and look at the number of views their videos get. Having one popular blockbuster video can help you get more people to look at the other videos on your channel too. I am not really trying to get a blockbuster though. I think that my Elizabeth Taylor video has been my most popular video. And I did not expect West Side Story to get so many views. I have just wanted the views to gradually increase, and they have.

I think that the best way to get people to view my videos was to watch other people's videos, and make comments. And subscribe and send out friend invitations. And I also share some of my videos. When I have not made a video in awhile, I may share a video made by a Youtube friend. But I think that the comments are most effective, either on the video or the channel comments. Their internet friends read these comments too, and they may click on your channel also.

My Youtube friend asked me if I advertise on other sites. I do mention my Youtube on three other sites, Facebook, Twitter and Blogspot. Since I just arrived to these sites recently, I do not know if people click on my Youtube links often. But a few people have made comments, so that is nice. Some people post the Twitter or Blogspot address on the Youtube profile. So I find them on Twitter or Blogspot and follow this person, and they usually follow me back. Twitter is fun for other reasons though. I follow my local newspaper, TV station, magazines, movie star fan clubs, and it is kind of fun. Twitter does not take a lot of effort or time if you do not want it too. Especially when I was new, a lot of strangers wanted to follow me, so that I would read their junky Twitters with links to useless or unappealing links. But that does not happen much now. You can follow me on Twitter if you would like to. My twitter address is http://twitter.com/Shabannie

I recently started this blog on Blogspot. I ended up on Blogspot because a friendly Youtube friend encouraged me to follow her here. Please look at my profile later, and it lists the blogs that I subscribe to. Some of these people do not write that much, and they may mostly post pictures, which does not require a lot of time. I look at other blogs to get ideas about what to blog about later. I can post a few of my Youtube videos on Blogspot, or just provide the link. I would recommend that just set up a profile, and follow other people's blogs at first. Youtube can be mentioned on your profile. Anyhow, on my blog I just write short blurbs. My theme is The Windows to the World, which means that I will just write about whatever I feel like writing about that day. I just barely started, and I do not anticipate that many followers. But I assume that they will gradually increase. I do not really need that many people to read it anyway. My Blogspot address is http://shabannie.blogspot.com/

My Facebook account mostly is for friends I really know in person. People that I really know in person do not seem to be that interested in my Youtube videos. Oh well. A few people do look at the posted video. I can also post videos directly from Onetruemedia.com on Facebook.

A friend of mine is on Sodahead.com. I plan to look at that site more later. I did set up a profile just a few weeks ago, but I have not started a blog and I really do not plan to start one. I am just there to look at my friend's blog. I might look at other blogs later, but I have been emphasizing Blogspot recently. You can find me at http://www.sodahead.com/user/profile/1611763/ellen/ Thank you for reading to THE END. Have a good day!

4 comments:

  1. You have brought up a lot of interesting points here. I think sharing videos really get you a lot more notices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comments! Yes, I think sharing videos is what helps me the most. If I spend the time to make the video, then I want people to see it. It does not matter to me exactly how many people watch the video, because they do have to be interested in it. I also decided to make the videos a little shorter, because people on Youtube may not want to watch something for more than about five minutes. So I just make a second video later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen. I followed your link from YouTube here and read some of your blog entries. You are very down to earth, sincere and an interesting writer.
    -Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Michael,
    Thank you for reading my blog. I have a hard time thinking of what to write about. But I can go on and on forever about Youtube, so I decided that is what I should write about.

    ReplyDelete